Friday, September 4, 2015

Taco Soup


Quite a few years ago--I am not going to tell you how many:)--a friend of mine brought my family dinner one night.  I don't remember if it was because I had had a baby or what but I do remember the delicious and satisfying soup that we enjoyed.  Of course, I had to ask her for the recipe as everyone in my family loved it.  With five boys to feed (and quite often their friends) this was a perfect dish and one that was made pretty darn fast!  The recipe doubles easily and believe me, I did that most of the time.

What is this hearty and protein-enriched dish I speak of?  Why, it's taco soup!




It is delicious and, while I am not a nutritionist, filled with fiber, protein, calcium and such.  It is a great dish for the upcoming fall and winter months (though I did just make it last weekend).



Yes, Fritos are involved with Taco Soup.  Here is the recipe:

One pound ground beef
1 to 2 packages dry taco seasoning mix (depending on how spicy you like your food)
2 cans yellow corn, add juice as well (15oz)
2 cans red kidney beans (drain and rinse) (15oz)
One large can (29 oz.) crushed tomatoes
Water as needed to desired thickness.
Fixings as below

Brown the ground beef, drain grease and rinse with cold water to remove grease/fat.
Return to pan or pot (I brown my meat in a stock pot that I will make the soup in so I don't dirty unnecessary dishes).  Add taco seasoning mix and mix together.  Add the two cans of corn along with the juice, rinsed kidney beans and the tomatoes.  Stir to combine and add water to the desired consistency (we like ours a bit thicker so don't add as much water).

Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
Okay, soup is done, now for the fixings!

Add Fritos or other corn chips to a soup bowl (Lays is not reimbursing me in any way, darn it), then ladle soup into bowl.  Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, jalapenos, whatever floats your boat!


Pretty delicious!  You can always add some crusty French bread to go along with it (but you do have corn chips).  This soup is even better the next day as a leftover--if there is any leftover.

I hope you will give this a try and that you enjoy it.  Thanks for visiting!




2 comments:

  1. Ohhh - this looks so good!! I love soup and I love tacos - add fritos and I'm in heavy! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy! I love anything taco related! Thank you for sharing at Embracing Home and Family!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips